Sunday, April 8, 2018

"First Time Ever I" Left My Chuck Taylor's At Home

Last night I found myself in a crowd of strangers in a large banquet facility at a wedding reception, the bride, a daughter of a good friend of my wife.  There was great food, endless drink of merriment, music, and a large dance floor; in fact it was mainly dance floor.  I was dressed for a party but mainly sat alone biding my time until we would leave.  I am uncomfortable in crowds.  All night the dance floor remained mostly empty except for two little boys dressed in tux and Chuck Taylor Converse who continually raced across the floor, dropped to their knees and slide away with Chuck Berry abandonment.  I was jealous.  I so wanted to be that self-less-conscious, to take my lover by the hand and jump and shout and slide away and end in a dark corner holding her tight slowly dancing to Roberta Flack’s “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.” 


I nursed my water and waited patiently until my lover and I could leave. 

                                     
                                   My favorite dance song.

No comments:

Post a Comment