Tuesday, March 14, 2023

My Old Crush

I have known two moms in my life.  When I was little, I use to think my mom was the most beautiful woman on earth.  She would always be in a dress, flowered print with a thin matching belt.  She was my sweetheart, my first crush.  She would often tell me she had prayed to have me.   I was taken by her love for me and that it came in such a beautiful woman.  At 14 I veered off onto the highway to hades, on the road mostly.  I eventually got married, saved at 28, had four children, raised them on Jesus and the road, became an artist, worked, bought homes and land, and lived on the road.  I would see mom a few times every year.  She was someone who owned a home where I could always crash, rest and my family be well fed.  The children grew up, moved away, got married, had our grandchildren, and began their own life on the road.  I returned to knowing mom for the second time.  I hadn’t known her dearly for 50 years.  I do now.  She is just a shell of my original mom.  Death has a stone-cold grip on her physical body and is wringing hard the life out of her.  I sit with her quietly, she sleeping off and on, her body mocking my early memories of her.  She was the most beautiful woman I knew, and she loved me.  My mom is mostly a living body now, limited beyond imagination, a sliver of who she was so recently ago.  She is the two moms I know best, the one when I was just a child and now the one who is just a wisp, a tiny fragment of my old: crush.   


Mom and me.


           

No comments:

Post a Comment