Sunday, August 11, 2024

A Bone Awakens A Gnarled Mind

My lover and I took my mom, our ancient of days now suffering dementia, for a walk yesterday, me walking while pushing her wheelchair.  We came to a stone bench in a quiet park and set for an hour and visited.  At one time I glanced down and lying on the ground was a small bone, maybe an inch long.  I picked it up and was immediately taken by its exquisite beauty.  I wondered to what tiny creature it once belonged, how it had come to be only a tiny bone left, and sure its bones being beautiful it must have been as well.  Exquisite beauty found lying randomly on the ground, its perfection speaking of unfathomable creative genius, is like seeing a fairy darting above one's head.  Who can explain this?  I picked it up, held it out to Mom, and said, “Look, Mom, I found a bone.  Isn’t it beautiful?”  She said, “It is son!”  Some things are not lost to her mind, gnarled by dementia.   She knows God’s doing when she sees it.  Beauty is here to awaken even the olding mind to the reality of God is still with us.       

The awakening bone

The two awakened.


No comments:

Post a Comment