Saturday, October 12, 2024

Death and American Medicine

This week, I stood the closest to death as I ever have been.  I witnessed how American medicine functioned at the end of life. It was loving and caring.  My lover was a dear friend of the dying; I, a friend through her.  When the time came, the doctor asked if the family was on the way and was assured they were.  She administered a drug that wouldn’t prolong life but would allow the heart to continue to work for a little longer, hoping all the loved ones could arrive.  I was deeply moved.  The monitor immediately reflected the dying heart's change from an occasional weak beat to a steady rhythm.  We said our goodbyes to a renewing beloved.  The family began to arrive.  We left.  They died an hour later and, in a twinkling, arrived in paradise, where they were welcomed home. 





   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment