Friday, June 28, 2024

I Am The Wildest Thing in the Wild

I have the enormous pleasure of waking every day in the wilderness, completely absorbed into the daily life of the wild.  I sit on our front porch, seeing and hearing how wild begins its day.  Nothing interferes with it, my presence unnoticed.  I am wild.  The weather drifts by from the SW, a cloud or two, then clear again.  Water birds begin to appear, an osprey lands on a tree next to me and eats his freshly caught fish.  A few blooms have fallen from our flowers and many new ones have appeared.  Blue Jays and Blue Birds begin their battles, and wild unknown sounds fill the woods.  Across the river, the sun lights the mountain tops.  My lover appears, sleepy-eyed and just awake.  We touch each other, intimately, as wild things do.  Increasingly we are becoming wild, fitting into where we are.  Aging is a wilderness of the living, an ongoing discovery of adaptation to your environment.  A cold swim, a nodding off under a shade tree, a slow walk up the hill, a watching night become day.  Ancient tasks for ancient people, the knowing life, on the edge before the coming crossing over.  I have the enormous pleasure of waking in the wilderness and being the wildest thing in the wild.    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment