Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Drop Stones In The Sea Somewhere Beyond the Ordinary

The infinitesimal nature of my own being, when set against the vastness of the night sky, draws me toward an inclusion in Someone ultimately powerful, even omnipotent. It touches the soul in me and awakens an ever-increasing longing. I have always been a gazer, a long-looker. I was the kid in school who stared out the window, imagining all the places there were to go and all the things there were to see. A window has always been my favorite form of indoor entertainment, a kind of portal transporting me to the heart of God.                                                                                                                                                          When I was in the Navy, just before we would leave port, I would fill my pocket with rocks. Once we were finally in blue water, I would stand beside the bulkhead and drop them, one by one, overboard and marvel at the experience they were having. I wanted to live that kind of meaning myself.                              I did not understand any of this when I was young. I only knew that my imagination seemed to carry me somewhere beyond the ordinary. Now I know better. It was God all along, wooing me to life and “life more abundantly.”   

Some of those who helped me drop stones in the sea.

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment